New to bodybuilding - Hi UGM!

Hi everyone, I’m a 30 year old female, 4’11, 105 lbs, and 31% BF. Most of my fitness training comes from HIIT and weight / resistance training at home. I’ve been working out consistently 3-4x a week on a 1614-calorie / day ketogenic meal plan for 3 months so far. But I’ve been struggling to do this for years so even though I worked out and ate clean for a while, I never quite reached my goal yet and tend to undo a lot of progress with fat loss, lol. I want to challenge myself more and get down to 20% BF and gain lean muscle for aesthetic reasons. I’m very interested in conditioning myself too through TRX and plyometrics training once I can afford a gym again. I hope to be able to move better again, I used to be more athletic than I am now - lately I just work and sit at home everyday haha.

It was a long struggle to get used to this but this is the daily meal plan I chose for now:

1. 3oz ground turkey, 1 cup steamed kale, 1tbsp coconut oil
  2. 3oz ground bison, 1 cup spaghetti squash, 1 cup steam spinach
  3. 3oz baked chicken breast, 1 cup asparagus spears, 1 tbsp Udos Oil (x2 a day)
  4. 3oz wild alaskan cod, 1 cup broccoli, 1 avocado
  5. 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
    Total fats 106g, carbs 47g, protein 118g, fiber 25g.

I’m not too interested in competitive bodybuilding but I appreciate their training protocols. I’m far more interested in functional training for jeet kune do, parkour, stunt fighting and dance.

I have friends on this forum that I do graphic and web design for and they strongly recommended I check out the Ladies forum here. They spoke highly of UGM so I’m eager to join and learn from everyone. :slight_smile: Hope you’re all having a great week!!

Welcome @DVA. Great introduction and glad to have you part of UGM.

You ever need anything please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you. :slight_smile: Yes I’ll be sure to reach out.

Welcome @DVA… I joined a few months back looking to gain some knowledge myself. I have never been on a board like this before, so I did not know what to expect but everyone has been extremely helpful. Best of luck to you and I hope you achieve all your fitness goals.

Welcome!

That’s great to hear. Good luck as well and see you around the forums!

Thank you!

Welcome !!!

welcome !

just curious … why did you choose that diet? fat is really high daily carbs are low… did you do a system reset before starting to reset insulin sensitivity?

cardio for fat loss is best done at low intensity so things like walking …
do you do any mobility work?

do you have references for the graphics design?

Welcome to the fam we are here at UGM glad to have you here with us!!

Welcome, glad to have you.

I appreciate the welcome! @KodiakGrrl I went to a nutritional coach saying I was interested in the ketogenic diet and this is what she recommended for my fat loss goals. I manage to workout 45-60 mins on each day that I do and use only free weights and mix some bodyweight circuits. Is a system reset like detox kinda? And yes I do some mobility work using a foam roller and a hypersphere trigger point vibrating ball. I probably can improve my mechanics a little more though!

I do product / packaging designs and labels such as below.

Genetix_Anadrol

@DVA I live a ketogenic lifestyle. I won’t criticize the recommendation of your nutrionalist but I will say for an invidual your size the carb intake is off to actually be considered a ketogenic diet.

If you are truly committed in maximizing a ketogenic diet get yourself a copy of The Ketogenic Bible. It’s available on Amazon for around $25.

@SemperFi Are the carbs too low or high? Thanks I’ll get the book.

Too high and the large carb intake late in the day is ill-advised. You are taking yourself out of ketosis at the specific time you want to be in ketosis… During sleep.

I eat leafy greens, like you, with every meal. And I supplement with 30g (I weigh 206) post workout. Zero carbs after 6pm.

Do you think bringing it down to 33g is enough? Or even less?

did the nutritionist talk about what might work best for you at all? just curious I m on a compete recomp … my fat intake stays at 50 no matter where I am in the cycle … same with protein and carbs are variable.

reset is more like a carb restriction … I did 35 grams for two weeks the only carbs I ate were green … so nothing but veges it is a great way to reset insulin sensitivity

designs look great … do you do banners?

Hey @DVA welcome to the board!

@dva if you want my honest opinion you may not like it but here it is…

I would go as strict as possible, under 20g, until you start seeing the benefits. Then you can make small adjustments based on your individual needs, calorie use, and lifestyle. I have gone below 15g for a period of time and I can go as high as 75g based on my energy expenditure. 75g will kick me out of ketosis for a short period of time but within 4-6 hours my body is back in ketosis.

I could spoon feed you all the information you need but I promise you The Ketogenic Bible will provide you with more information than I could have the time to type. It will be the best $25 you ever spent if you are serious about benefiting from a ketogenic diet.

I advise taking B6 daily for stress relief that reaching adaption can cause. If low energy is a factor I recommend exogenous ketone salts. Even when I am adapted I use the salts as my pre workout. Water and electrolytes are imperative. When you are in ketosis your body does not store excess water. For every gram of carbs the body stores it stores 2-4g of water. That is why individuals will feel bloated on a high carb diet. Salt all your food and if you are getting headaches take electrolytes. This is a sign that that the internal cells are becoming dehydrated and there is not enough external cell water to replace it.

At the end of the day it is an experiment and you have to find something that works for you not what works for me. :wink:

She did do an initial consultation with me, asked for blood test results, lifestyle, stats, and food sensitivities. Interesting, what’s your reason for staying within 50g fat?

I think I did do a reset like you described, this meal plan is closest I’ve modified my diet to reach that (minus the squash spaghetti). And yes I design banners too.